Click here to see the catalogue!
The annual Mandela Day is held worldwide to honour the legacy of Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s former President, and his values, through volunteering and community service.
Celebrated each year on 18 July – Mandela’s birthday, this day is a call to action that celebrates the idea that each individual has the power to transform the world, the ability to make an impact.
The idea is that because Mandela fought for social justice for 67 years, people volunteer 67 minutes of their time to fight poverty and promote peace, reconciliation and cultural diversity.
Our commitment at The Studio Art Gallery is to run an annual fundraising auction/exhibition. The exhibition opens at the gallery from 18 July to 14 August with the online auction running during the first week of the exhibition, from 9 am 18 July until 4 pm 24 July.
Beneficiary – Free To Fly
Each year The Studio Art Gallery will select a local organization to benefit from this annual fundraising initiative.
This year’s beneficiary is ‘Free to Fly’ a non-profit (section 18a registered) organization based in Fish Hoek, Cape Town. They are dedicated to restoring the lives of children and youth, who have been victims of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. Facilitating their journey from a place of brokenness to a place of healing and wholeness.
This year’s Mandela Day Block Art Exhibition Auction will include The Studio Art Gallery’s portfolio artists as well as local artists who have been invited to participate.
Canvas blocks measure 30.5cm by 30.5cm (12in by 12in).
Online Auction / Catalogue
- The online auction has the same goal as any traditional auction – to sell the artwork to the highest bidder.
- All artworks will be online at the reserve price.
- The online auction will commence at 9:00 am on 18 July and close at 4 pm on 24 July.
- Once the online auction closes, and artworks will be allocated to the highest bidders.
- Funds raised are donated to ‘Free to Fly’.
- The Exhibition will run until 14 August.